Redefining an Age-Old Craft with Modern Technology
The advanced tools and techniques we use allow us to work faster, smarter, and with far greater precision - while still crafting custom, luxury metal architectural elements that are timeless.
Our offices are in Chicago but we perform work in Boston, New York, San Francisco, and other cities across the U.S. Contact us today to tell us more about your next project.
Our services include:
- Design development & prototyping: material and finish samples, fully functional prototypes, mock-ups
- CAD & CAM: 2D & 3D computer-aided design and computer-aided manufacturing
- 3D printing including Direct Metal Laser Sintering (DMLS)
- 3D digital scanning and mapping
- Machining: advanced multi-dimensional CNC
- Precision laser and water jet cutting
- Custom metal fabrication, woodworking, glazing
- Foundry & casting
- Forged steel, wrought iron, blacksmithing
- Specialty and unique metals
Low-volume production parts in as fast as 1 day
“O'Brien Metal is a perfect example of a small company that can behave like a massive company by using these digital tools. We see that in the digital world all the time, and this is what is going to happen in the manufacturing sector.”
- Bill King – Chief Technology Officer, UI Labs & The Digital Manufacturing and Design Innovation Institute
From Design to Solution
The methods & processes we use allow for creation of the most intricate designs that can easily be duplicated.
Digital 3D modeling was used to accurately fabricate the pattern for this cast aluminum table base. The need for precision was influenced by the structural properties of the design. Tight tolerances for the radii had to be kept in order for the base to properly support its loads.
3D printing was used to precisely fabricate the pattern for the incredibly intricate jewelry quality detail of a custom luxury side table. The 3D print allows the ornament to be meticulously exact for replication and consistency.
To learn more about the digital manufacturing process, read articles in our Press section or visit the Digital Manufacturing and Design Innovation Institute.